Lost Pubs of Romney Marsh
If you have any information and or photos of any of these lost pubs, then Peter will be pleased to hear from you.
We have been told about the following other possible lost pubs of Romney Marsh:
The Bay House in St Mary's Bay
Mason Arms in New Romney High Street
Royal George in New Romney High Street
If you have any information about any of these, or any other lost pubs then these lost pubs, then Peter will be pleased to hear from you.
The Alliance Inn c?
The Alliance Inn c1930
The Alliance Inn in 2013
The Beehive Inn c1912
The Beehive Inn in 2015
A Grade II Listed Building located in Mill Lane, it is now a Grade II listed residential property.
The pub closed c1995 having recently been purchased by the brewer Shepheard Neame. Up to that time
the pub had been run by two sisters. Shepherd Neame had purchased the Black Bull and a second pub, The Royal Oak Inn at Bonnington, a couple of miles to the northeast. Neither pub attracted enough customers and both were closed.
The Black Bull c1920
The Black Bull c1928
The Black Bull 1977
The Black Bull 1985
The Black Bull in 2016
Located in Station Road, it closed in 2015 is currently (2019) empty and in a run-down state. It was built in 1881 when it was known as the Railway Hotel.
In 2019 a planning application was submitted to convert the pub into 3 flats, but evidence of roosting bats may cause difficulties.
The Bridge Inn in 2013
Map showing location c1900
The British Sailor c1920 (Ack.47)
The First and Last pub was located at No.41 Ness Road just on the corner with Harden Road by the roundabout.
Records show the pub existed in the 19th century and was one of the many Finn's Brewery pubs in the area. It was destroyed in 1944, probably by the same flying bomb that destroyed what was the granary in Manor Road.
The granary is now the Lydd Youth Set.
First and Last Pub Lydd c1900
Site of the First and Last pub in 2017
Fleur de Lis c1925
Fleur de Lis 1977
Fleur de Lis Inn c 2012
Fleur de Lis Inn 2018
The Galleon Today
This pub was located near the beach on Dungeness about 1 mile east of Dungeness Point, at the southern end of Dengemarsh Road.
Records show it was a pub in 1879 but was probably a pub long before that. It was a timber built bungalow of 4 bedrooms, sitting room and a large living room with a serving bar. It was next to Myrtle Cottage, which was built and occupied by the Prebble family, an old Dungeness fishing family, and was occupied up until the Second World War. All that remains today of both the Inn and cottage are their concrete bases.
Map showing location c1900
Hope and Anchor pub c1930 (Ack. 45)
The first Jolly Fisherman pub is shown on old 1899 Ordnance Survey map which confirms its location has being in Lydd-on-Sea on the now Dungeness Nature Reserve, to the west of Leonard Road and just before Hull Road.
This location is some 2 miles to the south of where the now Jolly Fisherman stands.
It ceased being a pub at that location when its license was transferred to the present day Jolly Fisherman in c1935. Nothing remains of the old site today (2016).
The old Jolly Fisherman in c 1935
A Grade II Listed Building located in the High Street, it closed in 2015 and became a coffee shop in 2016.
Smuggling is prominent in the New Inn's history, with tunnels running under the high street, pub and beer gardens to the church and old assembly rooms.
The New Inn c1920
The New Inn in 2014
The first Pilot public house was built in c 1623 and was located on the left side of the road as you enter Dungeness Estate.
There is historical documentary evidence going back at least 150 years that the main bar building of The Pilot was constructed by upturning the hull of a Spanish ship called the ‘Alfresia’ which was deliberately wrecked by the locals in 1633, they murdered the crew and stole the cargo of brandy and gold.
Many old photographs (see photo right) show that the original building was indeed made from what looks like the hull of a boat, the timber spars can be clearly seen in pictures inside the present Pilot.
The Pilot Today
The Pilot c1909
The rear of the Piiot c1910
A Grade II Listed Building located in Fairfield Road, it closed in c 2010.
Prince of Wales c1910
The Prince of Wales c1962
The Prince of Wales c2009
The Railway Hotel 1986
The Railway Hotel in 2016
The Railway Hotel 2018
A Grade II Listed Building located in New Street. It closed in the 1970s and was subsequently converted into two residential properties.
In September 1940, one of four young Dutchmen who had landed on the coast between Hythe and Dungeness in a rowing boat was arrested for spying shortly after drinking at the Rising Sun pub. Three of the four were hanged at Pentonville Prison
Rising Sun c1964
Rising Sun in 2009
Rose Inn c1800s
Built in 1746 to cope with the increasing coaching traffic this traditional town pub catered mainly for the local community, The pub closed in April 2017 and in October 2010 Planning Permission was granted for change of use and conversion from a public house into 3 dwellings, including demolition of existing extension and erection of a side extension.
Royal Mail date unknown
Royal Mail Prior to its closing in 2017
This pub ceased trading on 31 October 2017. The Royal Oak, an Elizabethan building of 1570, was constructed adjacent to St Augustine's Church as a dwelling for the parish clerk and sexton. It remained as such until the I8th century when Jacob Ferriss was granted a licence "that he may suffer ale to be tippled in his house, but he may not suffer ale to be tippled during divine service".
It was previously known as the Yew & Ewe.
Royal Oak c1930s?
Royal Oak Brookland c1960s/70s?
Royal Oak in 2016
Grade II Listed Building located to the east of Newchurch on the junction with GIggers Green Road. Built in the 18th century, it ceased being a pub in in the 1990s and is now a private home.
The Seahorse in 2012
There have been at least 2 Ship pubs in Lydd-on-Sea. The last one was built in 1935 beside the previous Ship Inn, a single storey building, which was built sometime prior to 1925. The second Ship closed in about 2014 and was demolished in 2015, to be replaced by residential properties.
Ship Inn c1920
Ship Inn c1925
The Ship in 2013
The Ship in 2018
A Grade II Listed Building located in Station Road in Lydd. It was built in the 17th century or earlier. Served its last drink in 2012.
Looking at the two pictures on the right, the pub clearly changed its name from 'Star Inn' to 'The Star' at some time during its existence.
Star Inn Lydd c1930s
The Star in 2013
Victoria Hotel c1900
The Victoria Hotel c 1900 (Ack. 16)
The Victoria Hotel Today