Greatstone History: 1930s Plans for Greatstone
The 1931 plans showing the intended development in Greatstone
Known as 'Greatstone Dunes Extension', the properties were to be located in the area between Dunes Road (with its Greatstone Dunes Station) and Hull Road, with the original Jolly Fisherman pub conveniently located in the southeast corner of the development (see a copy of plan below right).
There were to be 1,379 land plots for sale.
The site covered an area north to south of about 1.3 miles and east to west of about 0.3 mile, approximately 250 acres. It was bounded by the Romney, Hythe, and Dymchurch (RH& D)Railway to the east and the now Dungeness National Nature Reserve to the west, completing surrounding the then Maddieson's Holiday Camp, now Romney Sands Holiday Park (see a copy of plan above).
Architect's plans drawn up in 1931
The plans showed
"Bungalows Erected from £200' on development with 'Concrete Roads, No Road Charges, Companys Water, Ideal Building Sites, Sea Views, Glorious Sands, Free Conveyance and Telephone Service".
In the event, such plans never materialised with just a hotel, the now Jolly Fisherman and some other facilities, including public toilets for the holiday visitors, being built in about 1935.
The shops at the east end of Dunes Road were built in the early 1960s as part of the limited development of Greatstone, which continued into the 1970s.
Today Greatstone, whilst never growing to the size envisaged in the 1930s, is a delightful place to live and visit.
Site of the original Jolly Fisherman in 1931
Part of the 1931 plans showing the intended development surrounding the holiday camp in Greatstone